Bhuj Area Development AuthorityBhuj City in Kutch District of Gujarat State was totally ravaged by the earthquake that occurred on 26th January 2001. The city never had such a horrible moment in its 50 years history. Due to this earthquake, more than 90% of the residential houses got damaged and on top of that hospitals, schools, health centers, and other public places also got destroyed very badly. Civic facilities like electrical lines, water supply, telecommunication etc. were also disturbed to a great extent.
As Bhuj was one of the 4 cities of Kutch District that suffered massive damage due to the devastation, government had to plan for a complete rehabilitation program. As a result Bhuj Area Development Authority was formed.
About Bhuj Area Development AuthorityDue to the earthquake of 2001, about 2370 people died in the Bhuj City and in total 11036 houses got destroyed completely and about 27617 houses were partially destroyed. Before the earthquake, Bhuj City had many badly designed multi-storied building, haphazardly built buildings and narrow lanes, the numbers of casualties were more in Bhuj. Special attention was needed to address these issues to avoid any future problem and also to look after relocation sites, town planning, reconstruction of sites, so Bhuj Area Development Authority was formed on May 9th, 2001. The jurisdiction of this authority is 5642.67 hectares including the Bhuj City and its adjoining areas like villages of Madhapar and Mirzapar.
Plans of Bhuj Area Development AuthorityThe future plans of Bhuj Area Development Authority are:
- Creating enough opportunities for construction of private housing. Development of new area with adequate infrastructure
- Creating enough provision for well developed infrastructure in the fields of roads, water supply, power supply, education and health
- Modern Town Planning for overall development
- To restore and upgrade the places that are significant in terms of heritage and culture
- To restore and develop the community assets
- To set up training institute for skill development so that livelihood earning is possible
- Taking advice of experienced and qualified scientists, engineers, seismologists, geologists and town planners to reconstruct settlement
- To provide technical inputs for designing and construction of buildings that are earthquake resistant
- Arrangement of loan with reduced interest rate from government institutes
- Redevelopment of important commercial areas
- To rebuild small and/or large scale industries
- Creating right infrastructure and economy for the city to let it become a lucrative investment destination
Relocation Sites under Bhuj ADAHere is the list of relocation sites under Bhuj Area Development Authority:
Site Name: Rawalwadi Site
Reserved Land for Rehabilitation: 10, 32,028 sq m
Transferred Land for Rehabilitation: 66,364 sq m
Site Name: RTO Site
Reserved Land for Rehabilitation: 7, 93,005 sq m
Transferred Land for Rehabilitation: 7, 31,368 sq m
Site Name: Mundra Site
Reserved Land for Rehabilitation: 3, 06,009 sq m
Transferred Land for Rehabilitation: 3, 06,009 sq m
Another relocation site is the GIDC for which development process has yet not started. All allotees have been given full ownership of the land allotted and are given a Property Card or SANAD. The owners are free to sell their land. Owners of destructed or damaged buildings are entitled to get land allotment in the relocation sites if they can produce domicile proof and the ownership of the destructed or damaged buildings or apartments.
Regarding the reallocated lands, certain conditions are imposed:
- The reallocated land can only be used for residential purpose only
- For the next 5 years, the allotted land/house/apartment constructed there cannot be sold
- In case the owner is willing to sell the apartment, permission has to be taken from BHADA (Bhuj Area Development Authority). Following are the percentage of premium given to BHADA when the land is sold or transferred.
- Land less than 10 years, premium to be given is 75%; land sold between 10-20 years, premium to be given is 50% and land sold after 20 years, premium given is 25%.
The meetings are organized by GSDMA or Gujarat State Disaster Management Authority Camp Office. To reach people directly and to resolve any issue related to the reconstruction, City Resource Center, a joint project by BHADA & GSDMA, took initiatives.
Bhuj Area Development Authority
Address: Reliance Hall, near Bahumalibhavan,
Bhuj, Gujarat 370001
Administration in Bhuj | Bhuj Disaster Management Authority | Government Offices in Bhuj
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0